Frequently Asked Questions for Graduates

Do I need to let someone know that I am participating in the main university commencement ceremony?

Yes. An RSVP link will be available later in the spring semester.

I registered to participate using the Student and Faculty RSVP tool but now my plans have changed.  Do I need to let someone know that I will not be attending?


Where do I get my cap and gown?

Contact or visit Dowdy Student Stores for your cap and gown and other items such as announcements, invitations and frames.

How do I know if I have met all the necessary academic requirements to graduate?

Review your Degree Works audit accessed through your Pirate Port account. If you have concerns with your degree audit, contact your academic advisor or contact Graduation Services at

When do I get my diploma?

Diplomas are mailed 8-10 weeks after graduation using the address provided in the graduation application submitted by the student.

What is the difference between the main university commencement ceremony and my unit recognition ceremony?

The main university commencement ceremony is where degrees are conferred by the Chancellor; individual names are not read; Your unit ceremony is coordinated and held by your college, school or department.  Contact your college, school or department for specific information.  The unit ceremony schedule lists the time and place of each event.

What happens in the case of rain?

The Spring 2019 University Commencement Ceremony is held outdoors at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium.  The event will be held as planned barring a severe weather situation.  Visit the Commencement website or the ECU Website for updates.

Do my guests and family members need tickets to the main ceremony?

No. However, tickets may be needed for the unit recognition events.  Contact your school, college, or department for more information.

What size is my diploma?

Diplomas, both graduate and undergraduate, are 11”x14”.  Certificates, both graduate and undergraduate, are 8 1/2”x11”.

Which ceremony do I participate in if I am a summer graduate? 

Students who will complete all degree requirements in Spring or Summer are eligible to participate in the University Spring commencement ceremony.  Students who complete degree requirements in Summer and who did not participate in the University Spring commencement ceremony have the option to participate in the University Fall commencement ceremony.   Contact your department or college for information about eligibility to participate in departmental ceremonies.

How do I change the address for where my diploma should be mailed?

Graduation applications cannot be updated by a student once they are submitted.  Contact the Registrar’s Office  ( for any updates that need to be made to the graduation application, including the address to where a diploma or certificate should be mailed.

How do I order pictures that were taken at the unit recognition ceremony?

Contact the unit recognition ceremony organizer.  Contact information for these individuals can be found on the School/College Recognition Ceremonies link.